Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Dairy-Free for the Baby

For those of you who follow me on Facebook, and who might have noticed from my hint in this post, I am now living Dairy & Soy Free.  I haven't really talked about the details of this yet because I have been so busy trying to make the change that I haven't had the chance to sit down and think/talk about it.

When Joe was born, she was wonderfully content.  This was a huge shift from my son, who, to the best of my recollection cried non-stop starting on night two at home until he was atleast 6 months old.  I digress, with Joe, However, after a week or so, she started getting fussy in the evenings---we'd have to constantly walk and rock her around the house, she would fuss at the breast (she'd seem hungry, but be angry at what was/wasn't coming), she'd pull away and squirm in discomfort.  Now, because my son cried all the time, I really thought that this was no big deal and that "she was just fussy at night."  Of course, I googled colic, supply issues, etc. and Google will tell you that everything is normal and that some babies are just fussy at night.

I happened to mention at her 2 week appointment that she had a weird green stool ONE TIME.  The Dr. started asking about her diapers, and it sounded like she might have been going too often.  She told me to keep an eye on it.  2 weeks later, the poop was getting worse, and so were our evenings.  I brought the diaper down to the Dr. and Joe was diagnosed Colitis with a potential dairy allergy after finding blood/mucous in the stool.  So, here I am, mom of the year, saying, "oh, she's just fussy!" and meanwhile, she's bleeding from the inside?! (I'm a little dramatic, but it's hard not to blame myself/freak out)

In any case, the Dr. told me to cut dairy and soy because 90% of the time, that resolves the issue.  So,  having consumed an entire soy latte earlier that day, I cut the two at that moment.  I went home, and I cried as I got rid of my milk stash from the first month of her life (traumatic!) and started a new lifestyle. Within a few days, she stopped being fussy at night & her stomach issues seem to be getting better (though not completely resolved (it's only been 2 weeks).

As an added benefit-- my skin seems to be getting better. My husband said "maybe those bumps on your arms are your allergy."   This is an issue that I have struggled with since at least high school, on and off.   I googled "Keratosis Pilaris Diet" and found out that sure enough it can be caused by food allergies.  My arms are miraculously getting better--but my legs not so much-- I'm planning on seeing a doc and finding out what's up!

The past week and a half have included a lot of money spent on specialty foods, a long time standing in grocery aisles reading labels, one trip to Trader Joes, at least 3 mishaps of eating what I shouldn't have, a lot of google searching, some major insight into what is really in the food we are eating, and quite a bit of frustration.  BUT I feel good, and I'm not hungry, and I am so grateful that my baby is feeling better.

Given that my skin seems to be improving, I just may continue this for the long-term.  I'm reading about Paleo and keeping my eyes and mind on my own body to see how I change through this lifestyle change as well.  I don't know if I can cut out Wheat too, but if it's going to make me feel and look better, than I just might.

No comments:

Post a Comment